Payments and declined trip requests
If your trip request expires or is declined by the Host, there’s no cost for the reservation or Airbnb service fees.
Depending on your payment method, however, you may find a temporary authorisation (a “hold”) or a refunded charge.
If your payment method is authorised
Some payment methods and locations require the full amount of the reservation to be authorised at the time of your request.
- If it’s accepted, the authorisation will become an actual charge to be deducted
- If it’s declined or expires, the authorisation will either disappear or appear as a refund – this may take up to 7 business days, depending on your bank
If your payment method is charged
Some payment methods or locations require the full amount of the reservation to be charged at the time of your trip request.
- If it’s accepted, the charge remains and your reservation is confirmed
- If it’s declined or expires, you’ll be refunded automatically – this may take up to 10 days, depending on your bank
- How-to•GuestHow pricing worksHow the total price of a reservation is calculated
- How-to•GuestWhen you’ll pay for your reservationTiming differs according to the type of booking you’re making and the location of the stay.
- How-to•GuestWhat happens if my reservation request is declined or expires?If your Host declines your reservation or doesn’t respond within 24 hours, you won’t be charged and you’re free to book another stay.