The ShowMan's Wagon is a renovated 1950's fairground travelling-van overlooking the Mawddach Estuary near Dolgellau in the south end of the Snowdonia National Park. Sleeping two in a double bed, the centrally-heated wagon also boasts a lounge with log-burner, a bathroom with loo, sink and shower, and a galley kitchen with dining area. Outside, a small-enclosed garden faces the estuary and forms the perfect spot for the first coffee of the morning or a cheeky sundowner after the day's adventures.
Whilst externally the van retains its original fairground character (with the exception of a new "star-gazing" roof in the lounge), the internal decor also reflects something of the van's present location in amongst the mountains and rivers of Wales. Making use of locally sourced wood and stone, and the work of local artists and craftsmen, there is a unique feel about the place. The bed, for example, was made from an oak tree on the south side of the estuary which blew down in the storms of 2014.
The wagon kitchen is equipped with a 4 ring gas stove with grill and oven and a fridge. There is no dish-washer or washing machine. Bed linen, bath towels, hand towels and a starter supply of toiletries and firewood are provided for each booking. We recommend you bring slippers for inside the wagon.
By its nature, life on the road means space can be at a premium; the galley kitchen and loo are width-restricted and the stargazing window above the sofa in the lounge is low. There is around 20 metre walk from the parking space to the wagon door. As the living space is above ground level, it is accessed by a flight of 6 steps with a handrail. The driveway to the wagon, and the meadow below are both on a steep slope. There is an unprotected pond at the bottom of the meadow.
Cycle hire can be arranged with prior notice on-site at Coed Cae B&B.
Set within the grounds of Coed Cae B&B, the Wagon is self-contained with a private garden, and with off-road parking close at hand. The house and garden of the B&B are not available to guests at the Wagon.
Interaction with guests
Although available by phone should you experience a problem, the Hosts take a hands-off approach to your visit, and you are free to come and go within the terms of your booking.
Other things to note
There are a couple of dogs who live at Coed Cae B&B. They are well used to visitors and may well come and say hello when you arrive.
- You may not stay with more than 2 people.
- We ask guests to remove their shoes at the door.
- Strictly no candles, charcoal BBQs or Chinese lanterns.
- Pets are allowed by prior notice only and we charge an extra £10 per visit. You may not use instant booking and must instead send a reservation request if you are travelling with a pet.
- You may not stay with an unannounced pet.
- Dogs may not be left unattended in the Wagon or garden area.
- Dogs may be walked (only on a lead) in the meadow below the wagon but not elsewhere on site.
- We expect you to clean up any mess left in the grounds by your pet.
- This is a quiet site and noise travels easily: no music or loud noise (inside or out) after 10:00 p.m.
-Check out by 10:30 a.m. on day of departure.
-A charge may be made for any damage beyond normal wear and tear.