What factors determine how my listing appears in search results?
At a high-level, the factors that affect search ranking can be broken down into the following categories: listing quality, trip experience, ease of booking, and guest preferences. As a host, you have control over many of these factors. Learn more about making your listing more competitive.
Keep in mind that each guest will see different results when searching based on the preferences they add, their past booking history, and other search criteria.
The way you list your space and how well you look after your guests impacts where you appear in search compared to other listings.
- Booking appeal: If guests frequently click through to your listing page or try to book your space, this can also positively affect your placement in search. High-quality photos that accurately depict your space can attract interest from guests.
- Reviews: Both the quantity and quality of reviews from past guests can impact your search performance.
Ease of booking
How reliably and easily guests can book your space impacts search results.
- Response rate and response time: The quicker and more consistently you respond to guests, the better your listing can do in search. Search also considers how many guests you accept. Rejecting a large number of requests, or failing to respond to enquiries will affect your placement and visibility in search.
- Cancellations: If you do cancel on a guest, it can negatively impact where your listing appears in search.
Search results may vary depending on the person, their preferences, and the specifics of their trip.
- Location relevance: Guests can search broadly at the city level or narrow into specific neighbourhoods, so we try to show search results that are most relevant to their location preferences. We may use past booking information to determine which locations are most relevant for a given search. On mobile, guests can specify travel preferences such as neighbourhood types (for example, “quiet” or “scenic”). If they specify these preferences, they’ll still see “Popular” listings as well based on our existing ranking factors.
- Personalized results: We try to understand a guest’s preferences and trip characteristics, so search results may vary depending on the person or the specifics of their trip.
We understand that new hosts may not have had a chance to get many enquiries and bookings yet, so we also take this into account.