Booking cancellation insurance for guests in China
Airbnb has partnered with the People's Insurance Company of China (PICC) to offer booking cancellation insurance to guests in China. After a guest cancels a booking, the remaining amount that is not refundable by Airbnb will be reimbursed by the insurance company at a certain percentage.
After the booking is confirmed, guests can choose to purchase this type of insurance. The cancellation insurance will be fully underwritten and settled by PICC.
How to purchase booking cancellation insurance
Once your booking is confirmed:
- Go to the Listing Booking Center to find your booking. If you're using the Airbnb app, go to Trips, then All Bookings to find your booking.
- On the booking details page, find the cancellation insurance purchase button and click Purchase Now.
- You’ll be directed to a third-party insurance company page, and then follow the directions to complete the payment.
We'll automatically display eligible cancellations to you based on your booking's cancellation policy, and you'll have the option to purchase one.
Please note: Insurance will be available within 30 minutes of booking confirmation, otherwise it will be null and void. We strongly advise you to turn on notification alerts for the latest confirmation status, so you don't miss out on the best time to purchase insurance. Learn how to manage your notification settings.
Cancellation insurance validity period
Cancellation insurance is valid until 12:00 noon on the day of check-in, after which it will become void.
How to make an insurance claim
If you're having trouble getting a full refund, you can submit a claim:
- After cancellation, go to All Bookings under Trips.
- Find your booking, then click or tap View My Cancellation Insurance on the booking's details page.
- Select Online Claims/Claims Inquiry to apply.
You can view your insurance claim progress by going to Online Claims/Claims Inquiry.
Please note: If you have any further questions about your insurance claim, please check the "Shanghai PICC" Official WeChat Account and enter "Booking Cancellation Insurance" in the dialog box, or call PICC directly at 021-95518.
How a booking change can affect your insurance policy
Changing your booking may invalidate your insurance policy. Please contact the insurance company to request a policy update.
You’ll need to email a screenshot of the changed booking to email@example.com, adding the email subject: "Booking Number + Policy Revision." The screenshot needs to include the booking number, updated check-in and checkout dates, and total cost. PICC will contact you as soon as it receives your email to revise your policy. If you do not request the policy update on time, the claim will be calculated according to the insurance coverage of the original policy.
Things to know
- Bookings for same-day check-in are not eligible for cancellation insurance.
- If you cancel your booking after 12:00 noon on the day of check-in, no insurance payout will be made.
- If you agree to the host's request, a successful booking change may invalidate your insurance policy. Please contact the insurance company to request a policy change according to the above steps.
- The maximum amount of compensation for each booking is CNY 5,000, and no compensation will be paid in excess of this amount.
Please contact your insurance company directly for any questions regarding the cancellation insurance. The full name of PICC, the insurer underwriting and settling claims referred to on this page, is People's Insurance Company of China Limited.