Who can have an Airbnb account
Individuals who threaten or pose a safety risk to others have no place in our community.
What we do allow
- Alternative verification: We understand not all community members are able to provide selfies that match their ID for a variety of reasons. In these cases, we ask that you contact us so that we can help you complete an alternative verification method.
What we don’t allow
- Identity misrepresentation or mismatch: Accounts should accurately represent the account creator and provide information, photos, or documents that match that person’s identity.
- Underage users: People under the age of 18 aren’t allowed to create an Airbnb account or make a reservation. At a stay or on an Experience, they must be accompanied by an adult.
- Certain background check offences (US only): Background checks may be performed on users to identify convictions. We screen for convictions of specific offences that may indicate an increased safety risk to our community and use that to determine when an individual with certain convictions might not be allowed to use our platform.
Dangerous organisation affiliation: Individuals affiliated with extremist groups, hate groups and organised crime groups are not allowed to have an account on Airbnb.
We're here to help
If you witness or experience behaviour that goes against our policies, please let us know.
While these guidelines don’t cover every possible scenario, they’re designed to offer general guidance on Airbnb’s community policies.
- Community policy•GuestAge requirementsYou must be at least 18 to make a reservation or host your place on Airbnb.
- How-to•GuestBackground checksFor the safety of our hosts and guests, we conduct background checks. Find out more about how and when we do this.
- How-to•GuestVerifying your identityYour security is important to us. Check out the steps we take to not only verify your identity, but to keep it safe.